Let’s see some facts first:
- Worldwide cancer is the leading cause of death; accounted for 8.2 million deaths as per WHO statistics.
- Every year nearly 1.1 million new cases of cancer are reported. In all, the disease affects about 3.3 million people in India at any given point in time.
- Every 13th new cancer patient in the world is an Indian says a report by National Cancer Institute (NCI) which is part of the US Department of Health and Human Services (USDHHS).
Cancer as we all know is the most dangerous disease that has affected people from all over the world. In India, the biggest problem behind the rising number of cancer patients is that the most Indians don’t suspect they may have cancer, or simply they IGNORE the warning signals. But, thankfully, today with the advancement in medical sciences and commitment from researchers and doctors, superior treatments have been developed resulting in success stories.
“Your lifestyle habits especially your diet as in what you eat plays a multitude of roles in the development of cancer. The first is exposure to ingested substances that initiate cancer (carcinogens). The second is exposure to substances in the diet that can either enhance or inhibit the growth of the cancerous cells. These include compounds that influence our immune system as well as those that have a direct effect on cancer cells”said Dr. Vikas Goswami, Sr. Consultant Oncologist at Fortis hospital.
According to the National Cancer Institute (NCI) which is part of the US Department of Health and Human Services (USDHHS), every 13th new cancer patient in the world is an Indian. India is also witnessing a steep rise in cancer cases and significantly, more and more people are falling prey to this life threatening disease.
“Look for these signs that spell cancer Sudden weight loss, Skin problems or developing lumps on body: Constant indigestion, constant pain or blood clots, Swelling or irritation. Please take your body seriously and if you see any of the above mentioned signs the please get yourself properly checked” awares Dr. Vikas Goswami.
Different cancer types have certain precise symptoms, which help to detect and treat them successfully. Treatment of cancer entirely depends on the stage and size of the tumor, which helps a doctor to design and advance to specific treatments. One might be suggested to undergo a surgery or radiation or a combination of both. What type of treatment given at a particular time depends on patient’s condition too. Treatment like Surgery ;Radiation, Chemotherapy, Immunotherapy, Targeted therapy, Stem Cell Transplant etc should be given.
“Out of all these treatments, Immunotherapy in today’s time is an advanced and latest treatment that has resulted in successful reduction for all cancer types and it also complements other treatments.” Added Dr. Vikas Goswami
Please go by following tips to combat cancer by changing your diet and exercise rules recommended by Dr. Vikas Goswami:
- First of all target Plant based diets. Eat generous amounts of vegetables and moderate amounts of fruit try including vegetables, fruits, salads, beans and cereals in your diet
- Consume omega-3 fatty acidseither through foods or supplements. The foods that are rich in this healthy type of fat are walnuts and flax seed, and cold-water fish like salmon and sardines. These have anticancer properties that can fight very well with cancer
- Eat more and more yogurt. The yogurt contains the good bacteria that produces metabolites which is known to prevent cancer in their gut and were also better able to metabolize fats, which could help lower the risk of cancer
- Reduce meat consumption as meat lacks fiber and other nutrients that have been shown to have cancer-protective properties. Meat has fat in abundance, which is often of very high levels of saturated fat.
- Try cancer fighting foods like ginger, garlic, onion, turmeric, coriander they all have cancer fighting properties.
- Stay hydrated; no matter what always stay hydrated even if you are not feeling thirsty. Keep your fluid level high; drink water throughout your day
- Wash your veggies and fruits in a different manner by using vinegar and salt. Take a cup of white vinegar and three cups of water, add a spoon of baking soda and keep in a spray can. This is useful in removing wax and bacteria, especially from ‘over-glossy’ products such as apples which are usually wax coated these days.
- Last but not the least include some supplements in your routine like folic acid which helps in reducing the risk of breast cancer; Folic acid (with B12) can help prevent cancer of the colon; Vitamin D reduces risk of prostate, colorectal and other forms of cancer etc.