Permission for starting a medical college/yearly renewal permission is given by the Central Government on the recommendations made by the Medical Council of India (MCI) after assessment of required standards.
The schemes for establishment of 92 new medical colleges including that of Government Medical College, Parippally were disapproved for the academic year 2016-17 as they did not meet the required standards. Similarly, 51 colleges were not granted renewal permission for the academic year 2016-17 and 05 Medical Colleges were asked not to admit students from the academic year 2016-17 onwards.
The Central Government is implementing following schemes:
- Establishment of new Medical Colleges attached with existing District/Referral Hospitals.
- Upgradation of existing State Government/Central Government Medical Colleges to Increase MBBS Seats in the Country.
- Strengthening and Upgradation of State Government Medical Colleges for starting new PG disciplines and increasing PG seats.
- Upgrading existing Super Specialty Services in State Government Medical Colleges.
- Upgrading tertiary care for Cancer.