While Health is a State subject, the Central Government supplements the efforts of the State Government for improving healthcare and creating awareness in the society. Government of India has also launched National Programme for Prevention and Control of Cancer, Diabetes, Cardiovascular Diseases and Stroke (NPCDCS) with a focus on awareness generation for behaviour and life-style changes, screening and early diagnosis of persons with high level of risk factors and their treatment and referral (if required) to higher facilities for appropriate management for Non-communicable Diseases.
Some of the E-Initiatives launched by the Central Government are as follows:-
- National Medical College network to provide for E-education and E-healthcare.
- National health portal for health awareness.
- E-Blood Bank and on-line registration in Hospitals.
- MCTS a name based tracking system to ensure all pregnant women receive their ante-natal care check-ups and children receive free immunisation.
- Toll free number to provide round the clock support for treatment support to TB patients.
- Kilkari to deliver weekly audio messages through phones to pregnant/ lactating women.
- Swasthya Bharat Mobile Application to spread health awareness and promote healthy living.
- Mobile based applications for awareness and information sharing on dengue.
- A mobile based application to help tobacco users quit tobacco.
The Government of India is implementing among others, National Health Mission which has National Rural Health Mission and National Urban Health Mission as Sub-Missions to support the State Governments to strengthen the healthcare service delivery in rural and urban areas.